Friday, September 17, 2010

Project: Troll / Goblin Costume #1

I love halloween. It's a great time to use your imagination, and change the way the world sees you for a day. It is also a time of year when people spend 30-40 for cheap ugly costumes, If I am going to spend 30.00 on a costume, it bettermake people stand up and take notice.

This year my costume is going to be a troll/goblin/hobbit looking costume..I am calling it a troll, but it looks nothing like the long point nose demon looking creaters that came up when I googled trolls, and goblins.

Here are my idea sketches...note that I am not an artist, these took me all of 10 min, and were not meant to impress anyone except with the general idea of what I hope to create.

Side Profile - Helmet / hat, makeup ideas
I don't know why this keeps loading sideways, you'll just have to crank your head

Front View
Back view
Back View

I wanted the vest, and hat to be made out of leather, but leather is ridiculously expensive. I went to the thrift store and bought two big leather coats. They only cost 3 bucks a piece since they were missing buttons and had ripped liners...perfect. I am going to take them apart, and use the leather to make my costume. I am not sure what I am going to do for the pants yet. They are probably going to be some aged white capri's I got from the salvation army for a dollar.
I bought a large pair of pointy ears for less than 4.00, and a big nose for around 3.00. I already have latex, nose putty, and makeup that I will use for my face from previous years
I have the shirt already from previous halloween costumes (pirate, and mountain man) This is a great tip for saving money. We have basic a basic white dress, black dress, capes, and such that can be used as wedding dresses, vampires, witches, zombie's, zombie brides, etc.
So far total spent:
6.00 - leather coats
1.00 - white capri pants ( maybe)
4.00 - ears
3.00 - nose
------------
14.00
The goal is to stay far below 30.00, I will post more pictures as I begin my costume.

2 comments:

McKensi said...

i love this!!! i cant wait to see what it turns out like:)

Fern's Kitchen said...

We are waiting for the rest...